When did you last have a flavourful fish dish? Though recipes play a large role, fillets that aren’t fresh leave a poor taste.
Of course, newly-caught fish are the freshest. But when fishermen have long trips home, their catches can spoil.
Keeping fish fresh depends on one product: dry ice. You can buy it in many shapes, each with a surface temperature between -78 and -110°C. It flash-freezes fillets, preserving every bit of flavour.
Dry ice does what regular ice can’t. Cubes and blocks leave frost on fish. When it eventually thaws, it’ll have a mushy texture thanks to shards of ice deeply ingrained in the meat. This dilutes taste. Dry ice doesn’t cause this problem.
Next time you’re on a fishing trip, bring dry ice along with:
- A cooler
- Tinfoil, cardboard, or newspaper
- Protective gloves to handle the ice
5 Easy Steps for Keeping Fish Fresh with Dry Ice
Bringing fresh fish home without spoiling is challenging for many people. That’s because they don’t use dry ice.
To preserve taste, or just keep bait and drinks cold, follow these five steps:
- Put a thin layer of dry ice in the bottom of your cooler. It should only be a few inches high.
- Cover the dry ice with tinfoil, cardboard, or newspaper to protect the fish.
- Place your fresh fish on top of the cover.
- Keep the cooler closed as long as you can.
- Get home and either thaw the fish to eat or toss it into the freezer.
Follow these steps for fish with unbeatably-fresh flavour. Everyone will ask for your recipe. They may not catch on, but tell them it’s all in the ice.
>>Want to take some dry ice on your next fishing trip? Contact The Iceman for unbeatable quality.
Like this post? You’ll also enjoy:
- Important Tips for Safe Handling of Dry Ice
- Halloween Party Ideas with Dry Ice
- Did You Know: The Iceman Offers Emergency Bagged Ice Delivery!
- Get a Maintenance Check-up to Prepare Your Ice Machine for Summer - June 5, 2015
- How to Place Your Ice Machine to Maximize Return on Investment - May 22, 2015
- How to Use Dry Ice for Fishing - May 6, 2015
- Why You Need to Get Your Ice Machine Serviced - April 22, 2015
- 3 Scenarios When You Will Need an Emergency Ice Delivery - April 8, 2015
- Why Your Business Needs a Hoshizaki Ice Machine - March 27, 2015
- The Mixologist’s Guide to Using Specialty Ice - March 6, 2015
- Why a Manitowoc Ice Machine Is Right for Your Business - February 13, 2015
- Are you Serving Clean Ice? - January 30, 2015
- Why You Should Invest in Kold Draft Ice Machines - January 9, 2015