Safe Handling

Dry ice needs to be handled with care. Protect yourself with these safety guidelines.


  • DO NOT HANDLE dry ice with your bare skin.  The usage of protective gloves, towels, or tongs is strongly suggested.
  • Handle dry ice in a ventilated location.
  • Children should be supervised by adults when using dry ice

Dry Ice Safety Information

  • Dry ice has a surface temperature of between -78 and -110 degrees Celsius.
  • Not wearing gloves when handling the product will result in extreme frostbite.
  • Always keep dry ice away from children.
  • Do not swallow, or put dry ice in your mouth.
  • Do not put dry ice in anyone’s clothing for fun. Potentially severe frostbite may occur as a result of prolonged contact with the skin.
  • Do not place dry ice inside an air tight container. Sublimed vapors will increase the interior pressure and will rupture the container.
  • Place a thick layer of cardboard, Styrofoam or similar separator between food and liquid products which need to be chilled. Food and liquid products in containers will freeze when their container is placed in contact with dry ice over a short period of time.
  • Dry ice does not “melt” into a liquid. A process called “sublimation” occurs. Sublimation is when a solid substance skips the liquid state, and goes directly into a gas from its original solid state.
  • Dry ice is solid carbon dioxide that expands to a gas. You can lose consciousness by directly breathing in the dry ice vapors for an extended period of time. You will sense carbon dioxide by a “tingling” sensation in the mouth.

Always be careful when working with dry ice. Print out our dry ice safety guide to keep handy.